Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wall Street

The economic crisis almost doesn't bother me.

In a way, I am in a very fortunate position. I'm lucky because I have no student loans that could hold me down. I'm also lucky because I own no property that could otherwise drag me down. I am certain that I have lost a lot of money in my investments, but I've found that the best way to maintain my morale is to not look at those investments. I figure I wasn't going to touch them for another six to seven years anyway, and by then the stock market will have recovered. Right?

I live off of $40 a week in groceries and another $30 a week in other expenses. So really, when I see the stock market falling 700 points, all I really think is, "Finally, everyone else is being brought down to my level."

But everyone is afraid right now. And I won't lie. I'm afraid too. But really, the only thing that scares the hell out of me is that the economy is going to collapse and Amanda and I will be trapped on opposite sides of the country. An imploding economic sector, I can deal with. But that thought is truly scary.

No comments: